Sunday, March 21, 2010

“The first draft reveals the art, revision reveals the artist” - Michael Lee

Good morning, writers! Penelope here, writing to get you out of bed on this beautiful Sunday morning! Before we get started, this week's word is glower., which basically means "a stare of anger or annoyance." It looks like it would sound like "glow-er" but it really has the vowel sound of "cow." Back in the Middle Ages, it uses to mean "a look of astonishment or amazement" but in the late 1700s, it started using today's meaning concerning anger.

I know when you all saw the title of today's post, you groaned. The truth is, almost all of us hate revisions, but in reality, revisions is what honestly makes the novel. I've been doing revisions on my story lately and I've almost completely changed a character's personality and interactions with one of my major characters. It's not like it's a random change; my minor character has just been misunderstood and I finally see the true side of him after reading over my story. I'm even considering changing the ending after this discovery, as his personality is finally seen fully by the reader at the end. Revisions, although time constraining, really make your novel the best it can be. If we all sent our first drafts to be queried, none of us would ever get published.

So the next time you look at the word "revisions," don't stick your tongue out in disgust. Just nod, because you'll know that although, to me, one of the hardest parts of writing a novel, it's the most rewarding.

That's all for today, writers! Have a good day! If you have any questions or comments, feel free to email me at penelopepaige@rocketmail.com. Time to go sharpen that pencil...

Question: How do you feel about revisions?

No comments:

Post a Comment