Sunday, January 24, 2010

Similes Are Like... Similes

Good evening, writers! Penelope Paige here, reporting from her bedroom beside her piles of notes. I've been cramming for midterms all weekend, so this is just a quick post.

New Favorite Word of the Week: supercilious. The single most fun word you will ever say. It basically means haughty or overly proud, patronizing, etc. (I dare you to say superciliously three times fast). Anyway...

Similes. We love 'em and some of us use them all the time in real life. Depending on our personalities, senses of humor, and interests, our comparisons change, right? For example, I was reading a fan fic the other day where a girl compared herself to her crush like a small planet revolving around the sun, itching to get closer. Although I thought this was a great comparison, I didn't really see it fitting to the girl's personality. A teen might not say that a "butterfly flies like a child twirling in its first tutu," but perhaps a mother might, or a ballet instructor. Cliches sometimes fit in with similes, as certain comparisons have been made over and over and OVER again, all in the same taste. Try to make creative, fun similes for your characters. Who knows, you may start using it yourself.

In my current WiP (work in progress), I have a character who is very blunt and arrogant sometimes. He definitely would not be using the butterfly simile above, but he might compare getting a crush to a slap in the face (blunt, frank, just like his personality). Or, he may not use similes at all, and simply say it was "like BAM!" As you can see, he has a very undistinguished vocabulary (Haha).

That's all for now. I have to neglect my writing (once again, sadface) because of my midterms. My midterms are like a large to-do list--I hardly get to cross anything off! (See, that was a good comparison for me, since I always make to-do lists that seem never-ending). Happy comparing!

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to email me at penelopepaige@rocketmail.com. Time to go sharpen that pencil...

Question: Do you use similes in your writing? If so, do you consider your characters when making them?

No comments:

Post a Comment